FIELD CAM

General Club Information in the last 180 days - Posts open to Club members only
Jock Proudfoot

FIELD CAM

Post by Jock Proudfoot »

Gatineau has a nice feature on their home page - LINK
One click on "FIELD CAM" and you see - FIELD CAMERA (UPDATED EVERY 15 MINUTES)

It shows
- The apron in front of the hangers.
- The gas pump (White box on the left)
- Above the gas pump, out by the tree line - The launch area (gliders & tugs).
- Above the trees - The sky to the South.

It seems to run 24/7
Paul Chalifour

Re: FIELD CAM

Post by Paul Chalifour »

Check out this field cam:
https://birrfeld.roundshot.co/
360°, 24 hours/day.
Remarkable resolution, interesting aircraft parked here and there or appearing from time to time and lots of glider activity. You can often see the Alps off in the distance and one of the 5 or 6 castles in the neighborhood.
On clear nights the stars are clearly visible.
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

If this is something people would like to see at YSA I can volunteer to set one up. I've used the ramp camera at Brampton before deciding whether or not to make the trip there so I imagine some folks would do that at York as well.

I'm betting the camera at Birrfeld is somewhere between $3k and $4k, and the one at Gatineau costs somewhere between $200 and $300.

(I did put down "Computers" on the volunteer section of my membership form)
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Paul Moggach
Site Admin

Post by Paul Moggach »

We have one field camera with the NEMO weather station. More are possible. We were looking at one in the pump area and another on the tower on the runway side in the campsite. If someone wants to take on the project I can put them in touch with Stephen Edleman who has the specifications for the camera (<$100) and can arrange for them to show up on the NEMO site. This is just another project that was not high on the priority list.

Paul Moggach
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

I can't find the camera on the NemoWX site - am I missing something?

I'll say though that for sub $100, you can find a camera that will work, but it will come with no end of problems. I'm obviously not sure how much this has been discussed before, but I doubt that anything less than $200 will be worth dealing with the maintenance and upkeep and troubleshooting.
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
James Lemke

Post by James Lemke »

Very nice Paul. Kenneth, I'd be glad to lend my computer, networking, handy skills for put up a (360) cam.
Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin »

We have cameras at the field. They have gone missing from the new website along with the Flarm radar. I particularly miss the link to the Flarm radar. It was very useful to see where pilots where, who was in the air at other clubs and where they were going.

The Spot locator could also use a little updating.
Paul Moggach
Site Admin

Post by Paul Moggach »

The cameras are not on the website since the TBD project was to add additional cameras to the NEMO site. Just trying to cut down on the number of systems to maintain. The cameras themselves and the DVR are actually still active should we need them for security reasons. I don't know what you mean bye FLARM radar?? Gliders with FLARM are tracked on the NEMO site and I don't recall any link to FLARM sites in particular. If they are not showing up on NEMO then likely we have a hardware issue to take care of as we do have the ground station mounted with the NEMO equipment. We certainly could add a link if there is something else you would like to suggest in addition to this.

Paul Moggach
James Lemke

Post by James Lemke »

What is a NEMO? Do you mean WEMO (wemo.com)?
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

James Lemke wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:22 pm What is a NEMO? Do you mean WEMO (wemo.com)?
https://nemowx.com/cpc3/