Animals in the clubhouse rafters

General Club Information in the last 180 days - Posts open to Club members only
Kenneth Voort

Animals in the clubhouse rafters

Post by Kenneth Voort »

I was in the clubhouse last weekend, late at night. There was most definitely a couple of animals in the rafters above the clubhouse surprised at my presence.

We definitely have something living in the rafters up there. My money would be on raccoons. It was too loud to be mice or rats and not nimble enough to be skunks. When I ventured into the hangar for a looky-loo, I could hear them scattering - again with way too much "heft" to be mice or skunks.

I'm pretty sure we've got raccoons in the ceiling for the winter. Having only recently (re)joined the club, I don't know if this is a perennial problem. I'll be up next weekend and I can bring a couple of coon traps for a night or two and relocate them (should I actually catch them), if nobody objects (but bear in mind that relocating a raccoon is, generally, a death sentence for said raccoon).

It could be skunks though - I've never known them to winter that high up or nest that "safely", but on the other hand, I haven't seen pray tell of a raccoon around the club all summer, but I've seen lots of skunks.

Speaking of which, what is our usual plan for mice over winter?
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Kenneth Voort

Re: Animals in the clubhouse rafters

Post by Kenneth Voort »

I'm hoping to head up to the club this weekend to try a new way to get Mr. Raccoon out. The idea (not mine, but a great idea) is to play very loud talk radio in the hangar and the clubhouse attic until the masked bandit gives up, packs up, and GTFOs. I'm fine with going up by myself and setting something up in the hangar, but I'm not crawling into the attic without someone else there.

If someone's available over the weekend or next week, let me know and I can probably rearrange my schedule.
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Robert Mccallum

Post by Robert Mccallum »

I'll be there Saturday
Rob
Dave Bax

Post by Dave Bax »

I will be there late afternoon if needed (I am passing by).
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

I should be there in the afternoon, likely after 1PM.
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

I left a couple of radios playing, one juuust stuffed into the rafters above the storeroom in the hangar, and another in the middle of the hangar. They were left on deliberately, so should anyone happen to be at the club, please leave them on.

And if anyone happens to stop by, please check the flour I dusted the floor just outside the classroom door and to the left with for raccoon tracks, and let me know. I swept up the last batch of flour and put it down fresh, so any tracks that you see there would be new as of today (Nov 27th 2021).
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

Some good news, I think.

I found myself not far from YSA today so I made a detour and checked out the hangar.

I dusted the hangar floor with flour after setting up those radios about 3 weeks ago I think? There were definitely raccoon tracks in that flour - but not 3 weeks' worth of tracks. I may have managed to revoke its welcome.

I'll go up again, weather permitting, sometime this week or weekend and put fresh flour down (I didn't have any with me). I need to go up and put the final touches on critterproofing my trailer anyway (I sprinkle bay leaves and cloves on all the tabletops and counters, a trick I learned from my mother. We never got moused, not once.) Then when weather and time permit again, I'll go back up and confirm/deny that there are no more coon tracks.

So far, so good. This "play some talk radio" trick might actually work.
James Lemke

Post by James Lemke »

I've been told good things about mouse proofing boats with whole cloves. Trying that this winter in my tractor.
(Recently had to do a teardown for mouse nesting in the cam belt that caused it to jump.)
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

It's a mess to clean up when you open up in spring, but in my experience, it works. Keep them out, so you aren't forced to kill them, or to remove the carcasses. I have rat poison in my trailer, and I consider it a victory that it is (mostly) yet to be nibbled.

It's the same for this radio idea I'm trying - it's better than the... alternatives. Killing varmints is copacetic for me - but I would very much prefer not to. Moral and ethical realities notwithstanding, the morbid mechanics of of such an endeavor can get... real.

So far, I'm counting this as a win. If that coon doesn't breed in the attic in the spring (I have no idea whether it's male or female), I won.