Ryerson Stuent Soaring Club

General Club Information in the last 180 days - Posts open to Club members only
Charles Petersen

Ryerson Stuent Soaring Club

Post by Charles Petersen »

This club for students and faculty of the Ryerson Aerospace Engineering program has, finally, again started in motion towards a promising partnership between York Soaring, Youth Flight Canada, and Probably ~10 students.

It had been stalled awaiting approval to proceed from the seemingly moribund Students' Union. York member Pipa (aka Dr. Bramesfeld) is the Faculty Adviser, and lost patience with the non-response and gave us the green light to proceed. Dave Connelly will this week order the simulator/computer/Condor program etc, for delivery to and installation in a Ryerson lab.

Several York instructors will begin delivery of ground school via Zoom on a weekly schedule. When the simulator arrives, York instructors will deliver lessons on a virtual K-21 in small groups.

And come springtime we will see how well we can deliver flight instruction virtually as the members, supported financially by YFC scholarships, 'convert' from a virtual K-21 to a physical one.

These scholarship members, Ryerson students, will be more mature than the Air Cadets YFC has previously supported, and not require the supervision that underage members do.

Stay tuned...
James Lemke

Re: Ryerson Stuent Soaring Club

Post by James Lemke »

Great news Charles. I'm very interested in how well the conversion will go in Spring.
Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen »

Me too, - that's the proof of concept that I hope we'll make...
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

I too hope that this initiative's promise bears fruit.

Speaking as one of the few Cadets who returned to the club, I see very real promise in what Charles is doing, for reasons beyond present explanation.

We have always been a training club - for better or for worse. Some of us may disagree with who to train or how to train them, but I do not doubt that we all agree that we all wish to impart our passion.

I thank you Charles, even if I disagree with your methods (I don't). I thank you.
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.