small volunteer job

General Club Information in the last 180 days - Posts open to Club members only
Doug Carman

small volunteer job

Post by Doug Carman »

Would someone like to remove the flag poles and the traffic cone from the new sign? Maybe the post that the cone is on could be removed too?
Dave Bax

Re: small volunteer job

Post by Dave Bax »

Tried to move the cone, it is very well nailed to the post/tree trunk. Probably needs an ax or a chainsaw.
Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin »

Be careful. The sign is much taller than you might think. 14 feet off the ground. Those flag poles are well secured and it is not an easy job to take down.
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

I can take down the cone with a chainsaw, but as an inviolable rule, I don't operate chainsaws solo; I almost cut my leg off once, and still have the scar 25 years later. Do we have a chainsaw?

I was hoping to be at the club today to pitch in where I can but was quite under the weather (thankfully not with covid symptoms). Let me know if there's any other little jobs still outstanding, I should be up tomorrow.
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Dave Bax

Post by Dave Bax »

The cone nailed to the tree stump is out of place and should go. But the flag poles? Maybe they will be useful one day?
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

The cone is gone. A crowbar did the trick. But the post it's on is wrapped quite snugly with fence wire that would need to be removed in sections before chainsawing it. Either that, or hook it up to a vehicle and rip it out of the ground.

There was a solar light on top of the cone - I assume so people could more easily find 5th line in the dark? I've actually missed 5th line myself a few times coming up in the dark. Maybe some reflective paint or tape somewhere could serve the same purpose?

I agree with Dave on the flagpoles - it would be really nice to fly an "Open To The Public!" flag from them next year...
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Stan Martin

Post by Stan Martin »

Not our property remember.