Proposed Communication Tower opposite the entrance to the old bullring

General Club Information in the last 180 days - Posts open to Club members only
Dave Bax

Proposed Communication Tower opposite the entrance to the old bullring

Post by Dave Bax »

Please be aware of the proposed Xplornet 50m communications tower project, location on 5th line just opposite the entrance to the old bullring property. After much discussion with the local reporter, Jordan Snobelen, the following was published last week:

https://www.wellingtonadvertiser.com/lo ... com-tower/

Many thanks to Tim Wood in being particularly dogged with the reporter!

We (Paul Moggach, Tim Wood, myself) have been in contact with all the major players (local government, Transport Canada, ISED Canada, Nav Canada, the property owner, SAC). Of course also with Xplornet, via their consultants Canacre, but the response from them so far minimal. Positive progress is expected within the next 30 days, with Wellington North council to discuss the location and Xplornet reaching a deadline to respond meaningfully to us). MP John Nater (Member of Parliament for Perth—Wellington) will also be meeting with the three of us on Friday this week.

YSA objective is to have the tower relocated, ideally on 6th line, where there will be no impediment to our current procedures and safety margins (for both tow pilots and glider pilots).
Kenneth Voort

Re: Proposed Communication Tower opposite the entrance to the old bullring

Post by Kenneth Voort »

Yes, many thanks. Until now I wasn't exactly sure where this new tower was proposed, but this picture illustrates it perfectly:

Boy, that thing would put quite the bee in my bonnet if I had to land over it on 30.
The Wellington Advisor wrote:Lennox was candid in admitting the township is still trying to figure out its role in the tower’s approval.
I just don't get that. They are the township and they have the final say in what is allowed and what is not allowed to be built. I mean, come on, in some towns, the municipality can dictate what colour you may or may not paint your house. But a 150 foot tower, 300 feet from an active runway, we struggle with? I just don't get it. (But then again, I'd make a lousy politician)

That anyone would ever consider placing a tower there is sheer luncay, if you ask me. My wife (not a pilot) took one look at that picture and said (and I quote) "That's kinda silly, what idiot thought of it?"
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Dave Bax

Post by Dave Bax »

To be clear, the proposed tower is more in the region of 300m from the corner of our property, 600m from 30, 400m from end of 32.
The vast majority of townships, for various reasons, incorrectly assume they have zero or little say in communication tower placements. We have played our part in increasing the councilors awareness of their role and power.

The township do not have the final say, that is with ISED Canada, but ISED inform us that they generally follow the reasoned wishes of the townships.
James Lemke

Post by James Lemke »

That picture is a great visualization. Thanks to the creator!
Dave Bax

Post by Dave Bax »

Tony Firmin placed a model of the tower on the map (also in other scenarios not shown here). A trace of a GAWK launch dropped on top.
Dave Bax

Post by Dave Bax »

Wellington North Council have voted to object to the proposed tower location, they remain supportive of communication towers in general bringing fast internet to rural areas of Wellington North. The council discussion commences at 1 hour 35 mins 50 seconds into the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKRzrgIYjMc

We are now much more confident of a successful outcome. ISED Canada (aka Industry Canada) will make the final ruling but have informed me they follow the Township resolutions provided they are logically reasoned. The most likely scenario is that ISED will encourage Xplornet to find a compromise location somewhat further away from us ideally, from YSA point of view, on 6th line of the same property.
Luis Rodriguez

Post by Luis Rodriguez »

This is a really good outcome. Thanks to all who have been involved.