Sad News - Walter Chmela

General Club Information in the last 180 days - Posts open to Club members only
Kenneth Voort

Re: Sad News - Walter Chmela

Post by Kenneth Voort »

Wayne Hewison wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:44 pm I remember doing an annual check-flight with Walter in his beloved 2-32 many years ago. Just before we entered the circuit he "looped it". That's a Walter! He was a great pilot, an inspiration for many of us and most important of all a great friend. I will miss him.
Somehow I doubt our CFI would still approve of aerobatics at the IP...
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Dave Bax

Post by Dave Bax »

The card for Walter remains in the clubhouse on a round table near the office, all members are invited to sign. The card has been available for several days, it will be removed Monday lunchtime.
David Ridding

Post by David Ridding »

This from my friend Fred Schreiner who currently lives in Long Beach CA

Thanks for sharing this sad news, David. Walter was a soaring icon in Canada for sure. He did my wave check ride at Black Forest Glider Port in Colorado Springs. I will never forget "notching the barograph" with him in the 2-32. There was no doubt we were off the towplane! Was my first time over 20K feet. Hard to find people like him anymore with so many years of dedication and passion to the sport.
Dave Bax

Post by Dave Bax »

Card closed, posted.