Canopy Covers

General Club Information in the last 180 days - Posts open to Club members only
Charles Petersen

Canopy Covers

Post by Charles Petersen »

Dust and birdshit are not good for canopies. Canopies are too easily scratched, and scratches can be illuminated by sunlight, diminishing vision. And sunlight is not good either, the UV degrading the interior and slowly turning the canopy itself hazy.

So, please use the canopy covers when
- the gliders are packed into the hangar (and aviary) after flying
- the glider is sitting on the flight line but not in use

The LS-4 canopy cover has simply disappeared, so a replacement has been ordered. I found the canopy cover for ZH on the floor at the side of the hangar. Perhaps it was left there because the shock cords had so stretched out that they no longer held it in place securely. I have replaced them.

The cover for YSK seems to have been ten except for a small corner that is left. Rumour is that someone is making a replacement. If so, would whoever you are please confirm it, and if no one is, do we have a seamstress in the house?

Please, let's try to respect the equipment better...
Doug Carman

Re: Canopy Covers

Post by Doug Carman »

One cover was at Eddy's for a redo and the other was already ordered by Tim Wood.
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

Is there a designated location to store canopy covers while not in use?
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Jock Proudfoot

Post by Jock Proudfoot »

Ordering a metallic style stretchy canopy cover
springford.dave

I am placing an order for the metallic style stretchy (form-fitting) canopy covers from Europe and the more covers I can place in one order, the cheaper will be the shipping cost for everyone involved.

If you are thinking about replacing your canopy cover and would like details about these covers, please email me and we can discuss specifics.

They are available in multiple colours and also in non-metallic plain white.

email me dave "AT" foxonecorp.com if you are interested.
springford.dave
Tim Wood

Post by Tim Wood »

Hi Jock, The metallic style stretchy canopy covers that Dave is ordering are great to have for use at the flight line on sizzling summer days, but because of the way they fit, they spring the canopy up above its proper seating, and are not a real substitute for the full canopy cover that fits over the closed canopy. Its nice to have both, but given a choice the latter type is better.
Cheers
Tim