Arcus

General Club Information in the last 180 days - Posts open to Club members only
Charles Petersen

Arcus

Post by Charles Petersen »

As many of you know, I am a member of a nine-pilot syndicate that has taken delivery of a new Arcus T. I had my first flight in it Thursday last.

Wow, what a machine.

Dave Springford, the lead partner (and the Schempp-Hirth dealer for Canada), gave me a master class in convergence, which is more readily accessible from SOSA than York. I also got an introduction to flaps. They go from L (landing) to +2, +1, 0, -1, -2 and S. What, I asked does the S mean. Schnell he said.

And schnell it is. Here are some photos of the ship and the flight. Notice the to-me confused looking clouds of the very loosely organized collision between the sea-breeze of the North shore of Lake Erie, and the gradient wind from the North.

With 5 members in Ontario, it'll be based at SOSA summers, and the other 4 are members there, and it will be based in Florida for the winter with a hangar provided by one of the members.

This is a new chapter in my gliding journey, a chance to take 'master classes' on a recurring basis in an amazing machine. I'm very excited!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M42ShavVEQb1sVND8
Dave Bax

Re: Arcus

Post by Dave Bax »

Nice !
What a shame if you happened to need to land at York :D
Charles Petersen

Flew over York today. 2 flights on the OLC: 261 and 107, and today was to get in a couple of circuits.

Damn, but it's quick. Photos at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/14y3vq1zPbMVCuC37
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

Was that you we saw, just southeast of Arthur at 1000 or 1500AGL? It could have been...
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Charles Petersen

Might have been. Check out the trace on the OLC. That'll give you exact info on where we were and when.
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

Nope, not you. Whoever we saw outside of Arthur was struggling, low to the ground and looking for lift (he/she found it, btw). You were there, but 5000' higher or so.
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Charles Petersen

Wasn't us; no struggles recorded. Whole flight around 5000'' - 6000' and FAST, - ~125 KM/Hr

SCHNELL!