Rejoining the Club and Taking up Soaring Again

General Club Information in the last 180 days - Posts open to Club members only
Doug Carman

Re: Rejoining the Club and Taking up Soaring Again

Post by Doug Carman »

It's much less busy than 1995 (sadly in some ways), so on weekends, just showing up will be fine. This weekend we had 3 towpilots who are also instructors, and 4 or 5 more instructors. Everyone got what they wanted. Some of us will be up tomorrow, although 30G50 KMH from SW is not a favourable forecast. We are going to cut shrubs.
We have a member who is a glider pilot rebuilding a C170B with another member who is both. He wants an instructor to train him in the 170 when it's finished. There's no rush as it's still in pieces. I'll probably see you on the weekend anyway.
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

On the other hand, I remember playing Risk® in the chicken coop one stormy night. Had one of my first beers that night.

Try a 15G25kt from the NW, landing on 26 at YTZ over the inner harbour. It's hell over Earth the way the downtown core XXXXX (please refrain from this language on the forum) up the air. I rejected a touch&go on a day like that after I just about cut down some runway lights. ATC was not happy.

Oh - it's not reserving I'm really concerned about - it's more that the socially responsible thing to do currently is to limit myself to a single instructor; I'm assuming it'll take a dozen or so flights to get me up to par. If I can do that while limiting close contact, so much the better.
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Dave Bax

Post by Dave Bax »

As a generality, there are always at least two 2-33 instructors on-site during the week, and there will usually be the same or more at weekends. Similarly for k21 instructors.
Kenneth Voort

Post by Kenneth Voort »

Doug Carman wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:17 pm Can your instructor train on a C170B? In other words can he do tailwheel?
I just remembered - Peter Foster, a YSA member, teaches tailwheels at Brampton (or, he did, until Brampton's Citabria was taken out of service). You may want to ask him.
With grace and beauty, Strength and cunning She’ll stay aloft — until; Inevitably — she loses. And must glide earthward. And lie there helpless, Lovesick for the sky.
Peter Foster

Post by Peter Foster »

Yes, still at Brampton, still one of BFC's two tailwheel instructors.
Current status at mBFC is that only career-orientated dual flying is permitted, so no TW conversions, Rec permits or PPLs (unless they are lead in to CPL) are happening. This should change as Ontario opens up.
Who is re-building the 170 ?

Peter
Paul Moggach
Site Admin

Post by Paul Moggach »

John DeJong and I are re-building a 1953 Cessna 170B. Only kid on the block with an airplane in my backyard.

Paul