Spring Check-outs - (Flight Review Check List)

General Club Information in the last 180 days - Posts open to Club members only
Wayne Hewison

Spring Check-outs - (Flight Review Check List)

Post by Wayne Hewison »

Members;

In preparation for opening season and annual spring check-outs, I have prepared the list below as a general guide for the ground briefing & flight review. Just as a reminder, our insurance company requires every club member flying club aircraft undergo a formal flight review. Members flying their own aircraft at our field are also be subject to an annual flight review.

Here is what I expect from an annual flight review (Masks must be worn for all dual flight activities).

Ground briefing (Member dual flight in an appropriate aircraft type). Things to discuss.
1/ Check members license/medical & logbook. Have you joined the club and paid your membership fees?
2/ What is the active runway today?
3/ What circuit are we flying today?
4/ Where is your I.P.?
5/ What is your circuit approach speed?
6/ How will you fly with circuit in strong winds/cross winds?
7/ What will you do in the event of a rope break?
8/ Review checklists (CISTRSC - Options, SWAFTS, CALL)
9/ Review symptoms of a stall
10/ Review the flight content (300' call-out, signals, box wash, emergency wave-off CALL check...etc)

Flight review (Member does the flying)
1/ Release check if first flight
2/ 300' callout
3/ Glider check signal from tow plane (@1000')
4/ Box prop-wash
5/ Emergency wave-off from tow plane (@1900')
6/ Locate the airfield once off tow
7/ Trim a/c
8/ CALL
9/ Stall (Gentle, Abrupt), dangers of slow flight
10/ Incipient Spin
11/ Turns with steep turns & linked turns
12/ Dutch-roll (rock the wings of the a/c while maintaining a constant heading and attitude)
13/ Side-slip if time permits (when flying a 2-33)
14/ Member flies circuit with SWAFTS and lands a/c

Best Regards

Wayne Hewison
Chief Flying Instructor
Charles Petersen

Re: Spring Check-outs - (Flight Review Check List)

Post by Charles Petersen »

Great, Wayne, and long overdue, such an explicit list.
Doug Carman

Post by Doug Carman »

Notwithstanding that the flight review is technically sufficient, I recommend attendance at seminars AND do the self paced test that comes out in your safety newsletter every October, AND review a chapter or two a month in TC-AIM or From the ground up. The flight review is unlikely to cover such details as air regulations and so on. If you are looking for a deeper understanding I recommend Moggach's Flight Instructor's Guide "Life is Hard and then you fly". The background on human factors and so on is pulled from many sources and is better than anything you will get from TC or SAC or the FAA. The Instructor's course is very good too, even if you never instruct afterwards.
Charles Petersen

Post by Charles Petersen »

Doug, IIRC, there ia an e-book version of Paul's book.

Can you post a link to find/download it for those who don't have it?
Paul Moggach
Site Admin

Post by Paul Moggach »

The TC Groundschool, Flightline Guide, and Instructor Guide e-books are now posted in the Archive under Operations Manuals. As well the self-study courses on these topics are available from the main menu of the website in the Online Learning section. For those interested in actual books Rob has provided me with a new supply of materials to construct them from 'test' runs on his company's printers. Proceeds from these go towards the Norman Perfect scholarships.

Paul
Don Williams

Post by Don Williams »

Hopefully, I will be at the club this weekend for a check-out on the K21 but when I went to review the manual for this glider is was not there. Is there a secondary place to search for it? I'm okay with all the really great and thorough questions that Wayne listed but would like a little more clarification on Point 5 (Circuit Approach Speed) so if anyone can shed some light on this, as I can't look it up in the manual, please do. To me it also depends if we're returning into a headwind in which case the airspeed should be increased proportionally as well as the height needed to be lost to arrive 'at' the I.P. at 1000 AGL (Circuit 'Joining' Height or I.P.) I believe that I used to use 60 and the final approach speed as the bug (1.5 x the stall speed) unless there was wind and then added 'some' depending on if it was a steady wind (1/2 the wind speed) or it was a non-steady or 'gusty' wind and wind and perhaps also not from a constant bearing then perhaps a bit more. Please add your 'nickel.' (We don't use 'cents' anymore.)

Also, are we not using the radio to 'call' our positions this season? I thought that we were. And, if so, where should we be calling and what should we be 'initializing' with so that we're all doing the same thing. I'd suggest 1) returning to the circuit 2) joining the circuit 3) turning onto final approach although flying the glider should and 'looking out' for traffic is priority one for sure and radio calls would be very secondary comparatively. These radio transmissions should be clear and consistent, short and sweet, and standardized so we are all doing and saying the same things especially if there are many ships are up and/or training is happening. And, how should our calls start? Examples below:
"Arthur Traffic, India Kilo India is seven northwest leaving six thousand inbound."
"Walter's Field, India Kilo India is joining the right downwind for three two."
"YSA Traffic, India Kilo India is turning final for Runway one four."
Please offer your thoughts and suggestions for the above - thank you.
James Lemke

Post by James Lemke »

I'd prefer announcing turn to base vs turn to final because base & final are more busy.
Paul Moggach
Site Admin

Post by Paul Moggach »

The standard approach speed should be 1.5 Vs + 1/3 the wind and should be set when you do your downwind checks. We do not have the same concerns as power aircraft with their extended circuits so there is little penalty one way or the other to be paid by setting the approach speed during the downwind checks. There is more advantage however to not fiddling with the aircraft attitude on final. The standard glider circuit is quite abbreviated when compared to power circuits in general so there is not the extended time to adjust things on final. As well at standard airports often a circuit speed is specified that is quite different from the approach speed due to the often disparate nature of the aircraft in that setting. The glider circuit height entry altitude of 800-1000 ft agl has sufficient margin for almost any wind condition and the real adjustment to maintain the standard pattern or adjust to shorten the downwind is best done when opposite your aiming point. It is however not wise to extend the downwind if you are high. Again this is an adjustment best left until you are opposite your aiming point with the use of spoiler or sideslip. It also allows for a more orderly flow of traffic in the circuit which is particularly important in a gliding operation with no 'go arounds'.

Paul Moggach
Don Williams

Post by Don Williams »

Thanks Paul and what speed (K21) would you suggest on the way 'to' the circuit (under a 'no wind' condition?)
Paul Moggach
Site Admin

Post by Paul Moggach »

Generally you should be approaching the circuit from upwind, so conservatively, best L/D speed which is about 50 kts. However how you get to the circuit entry point is not as important as when you get there moving promptly to the desired circuit speed. It takes time for humans to re-adjust to the new normal 'attitude'. Cross-country pilots often spend a considerable part of their flights in the 75-90 kt range and final glides may often exceed this. There have been incidents where the pilot arrives at their landing site and still have a non-approach speed attitude imprinted and have suffered negative consequences. Good circuits allow time for us to re-adjust our thinking on many levels for this critical part of our flights.

Paul